Do Well While Doing Good
It’s estimated that 10,000 Americans will turn 65 every day from 2011-2029. And now that these Baby Boomers—one of the largest generations in recorded history—are turning 65 in record numbers, seniors housing care will require a vastly larger, well-trained workforce. This presents an unprecedented opportunity for young workers to address a pressing social need while taking advantage of an extraordinary entrepreneurial opportunity to meet the needs of an exploding population of America’s elders.
NIC offers several academic outreach programs to highlight the opportunities of the sector so that today’s university students are empowered to become tomorrow’s leaders in providing high-quality, sustainable elder care.
Program and Curriculum Development
NIC has presented at more than 25 universities, sharing our research and insight into seniors housing and care with the next generation of leaders in this sector. We also have provided pro bono consulting on course development for several major U.S. universities, including:
- USC Davis School of Gerontology
- USC Marshall School of Business
- Erickson School of Aging Studies, University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)
- Johns Hopkins University
- Cornell School of Hotel Administration
- Washington State University, School of Hospitality Business Management
Our past academic outreach included providing scholarship funds for UMBC’s Erikson School of Aging Studies. Currently, NIC provides a $100,000 grant to Washington State University to help fund a clinical professorship in seniors housing.
Opportunities for Research
For the past three years, NIC provided access to data and analytics for students and professors researching seniors housing and care. Our academic sponsorship includes:
- The New Investigator Award for the paper that contributes to the senior living industry by a PhD candidate.
- Outstanding Research Paper for the top paper overall.
- The American Real Estate Society Manuscript Prize on Seniors Housing
Scholarships and Internships
NIC offers a series of partial and full scholarships for university students at the graduate and undergraduate level for research support and attendance at our Spring Investment Forums and Fall Conferences.