Future Leaders Council Nomination & Application Process
Thank you for your interest in the nomination process for membership in NIC’s Future Leaders Council (FLC). Below are the forms for completion as part of the nomination process, a summary overview of the FLC, as well as both the attributes sought in those individuals nominated for FLC membership and the expected commitment to NIC of FLC members.
Nomination Forms and Timeline
The following PDF forms must be completed by May 2020 as part of the 2020 Nominations:
- Form A: Nomination for Membership—required for nomination and must be completed by an NIC volunteer leader who is extended an invitation in early April to nominate individuals for FLC membership.
- Form B: Nominee Application for Membership—required to complete nomination and must be completed by the nominee.
- Form C: Nominee’s Company Sponsorship Application—required to complete the nomination of any nominee who is nominated by a NIC volunteer leader from outside of the nominee’s company to ensure that the nominee’s company is supportive of the nominee’s prospective membership in the FLC and of the associated level of commitment expected of FLC members.
Nominees must be available by phone for a possible brief interview by the FLC Oversight Committee as necessary between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm EST.
All nominees will be notified of the FLC Oversight Committee’s decision regarding their respective nomination for FLC membership no later than May 2020.
The NIC FLC was created to be an extension of, and resource to, the NIC Board in order to further the mission of NIC: to enable access and choice by providing data, analytics, and connections that bring together investors and providers. The FLC prepares tomorrow’s NIC leaders to face what lies ahead, grow the industry and positively impact America’s senior’s population with NIC’s mission at the core of its activities. The FLC offers emerging leaders the opportunity to hone their leadership skills, address critical issues that impact the industry through NIC’s initiatives and develop a network of trusted associates and resources.
There currently are 25 members of the FLC serving three-year terms, and the incoming Class of 2020 will serve three-year terms as well. The selection of FLC members has become a highly competitive process, and there regularly are only eight (8) new members named each year. This year, FLC members are working alongside NIC leadership on key initiatives such as the NIC Boot Camp, the NIC Investment Guide, Fifth Edition, and speaking engagements at universities regarding the seniors housing and care industry. FLC members are also serving on the Spring Investment Forum Planning Committee as well as University Outreach and Internship Committee. In addition, the members participate in a leadership development program.
Attributes Sought in FLC Nominees
The ideal FLC nominee will:
- Have a passion for the seniors housing and care field and a commitment to the mission of NIC
- Have a minimum of five but not more than 10 years of relevant work experience
- Possess a desire to grow within their company and the industry
- Possess strong leadership potential, but not yet exercising industry-wide leadership
- Have demonstrated the ability to think creatively and strategically about issues in the seniors housing and care industry
- Be willing to commit volunteer time to work on NIC initiatives
Commitment to NIC by FLC Members
Commitment to NIC:
- Members must be willing to commit volunteer time to work on NIC initiatives.
- FLC members will be expected to serve on NIC committees and task forces as requested.
- NIC leadership will request that the FLC take on specific projects to benefit NIC, and therefore the industry.
- Participants will gather formally as a group at major NIC events to discuss current issues, share ideas and successes, and ask questions of fellow members and industry leaders.
- The cost of sponsorship is $500 annually, to help defray FLC meeting expenses.
In the event a potential nominee would like to talk to a current FLC member or FLC Alumni to see what commitment and time are involved, a list is available here.